Re: [MV] Halftrack Weight

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 04:27:03 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bobby Joe Pendleton II" <bobbyjoe@chartertn.net>

> I would guess the 454 in George's dually is more than up to the task

I would like to add one more thought before I get beat up by the GM
community. As far as drive line components go, I have a 351 small block in
my service truck. I would not try to move more than the 5 tons I have been
hauling with it. Mainly because I have a C-6 trans. A big bock like a 454
or 460 would be better suited for the job, but I would be cautious with an
auto trans. The power stroke I have been driving is quality diesel with
lots of power, but that truck has an auto in it too.

My dad pulled a goose neck trailer with his tractor on it, probably about 6
or 7 tons gross, for a number of years, with his F350 diesel with the 5
speed manual. Never had a moments trouble. I have a friends that uses his
F250 with the power stoke and 5 speed to pull a goose neck for his concrete
curbing business that when fully loaded with sand and concrete mix weighs
more that the half track by a couple tons. He worked out of this truck
every day this past summer. No trouble.

My point. While I like to poke at the fine folks at GM (and especially
DODGE) the engine takes a back seat to the transition. If you have a good
trans you can pull a huge load with a small engine, gas or diesel. The
power affects your top speed most noticeable. If you have an auto in the
Chevy you might want to be extra mindful of the load you put on it. We have
a couple auto's in F-700 series trucks and they can handle the load, but
they are the size of the my front seat. The one ton's and smaller tend to
be a little smaller.

Don't forget about those gear ratios in the rear axle too.

Go Chevy, better than walking.

Joe Trapp
Never wore a bow tie.