Split Rim Wheels question

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 06:13:46 PST

We are all aware about the danger of a split rim flying off, maiming or even
killing someone during tire assembly. I have had a number of tires "done" at
a shop in nearby Mt Airy, NC. They all talk about the danger, but are not
concerend about safety cages. I guess they know what they are doing.

My question is, does the danger dissapear once the rim is installed and the
tire inflated? What I mean is, when we later deflate the tire (off road
driving, etc) and again inflate it, do we again stand a chance of being hit
by flying iron or is the rim "safe" after a proper installation?

Thankful for any futher info.
Bjorn
MVPA 19212