Re: [MV] tank questions

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 21:08:12 PST

Hi Doug,

>What's the difference between a tank and a tank destroyer? Are tank
>destroyers just lighter, faster, less protected (thinner armor) than
>tanks?

This is correct if you are talking US Tank Destroyers. Generally bigger,
badder gun but not something you want to be in if the other side starts
shooting back at you. Very limited MG options as well since engaging
enemy infantry was not supposed to happen. US organized TDs in
independent units which were attached to battlegroups as needed. Many
military historians think of early war US TD doctrine as a total failure,
with revised doctrine being at least somewhat useful. However, TDs were
basically abandoned after the war because they were redundant.

Now... the Germans had a very different view of TDs. Their TDs were all
turretless and were built with economy of scale in mind. The first TDs
were basically towed AT guns mounted on outdated chasis. Protection was
next to nill, but they were small and packed a much deadlier punch for a
lot less expense. Examples of these are the Panzerjäger 1 (the very
first one), Marders I through III, and various halftracks with Pak38s or
Pak40s. Later TDs were based on current chasis with much better armor,
such as StuG F and G, Jagdpanzer IV, StuG IV, Jagdpanther, and the
monster Jagdtiger. The latter two were better armed and armored than
their turreted counterparts. The downside of all these were the lack of
turret.

The British only had one "true" TD of their own IIRC, the Archer (based
on old Valentine chasis). This was a turretless TD sporting the 17 lbr
gun. Funny vehicle. The other TDs they used were US Lend Lease.

Other nations, like Romania and Hungary, emulated the German model.

>What's the latest US tank available to us civilians?

M60 variants, but these are VERY difficult to get a hold of. Easier in
some ways to get WWII stuff.

>Are heavier tanks less $$$ to buy because collectors cannot deal with
>them as easily?

You got it almost right... "because most colectors can not deal with them
PERIOD". The purchase price is only the beginning of the cash drain.

Steve