Re: [MV] tank questions

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 21:01:56 PST

At 11:09 PM -0800 1/19/03, Doug Rhodes wrote:
>What's the difference between a tank and a tank destroyer? Are tank
>destroyers just lighter, faster, less protected (thinner armor) than
>tanks?

Depends on the doctrine. In the US, the tank doctrine had the Tank
Destroyers being light and fast vehicles with the larger armament.
The theory was that the Tank Destroyers were supposed to close and
fight with tanks whereas the US tanks were supposed to conduct the
deep penetration and exploitation of breaks in the enemy lines. The
Tank Destroyers were configured as lighter vehicles with less armor
so as to enable better cross country speeds and higher mobility
allowing faster response to enemy tank maneuvers. This of course
didn't work as nicely as this and experience showed that the TD's had
to be attached to the tank platoons to increase their firepower. The
British did this with their Fireflys (tanks) which had a nice balance
of speed armor and firepower for the rather out classed Sherman of
the time.

German Tank Destroyers were configured differently as a heavily
armored (front face) vehicle with no turret.

>What's the latest US tank available to us civilians?

I've seen M41s in a few private hands. Someone may know better. Perhaps M47s?

>Are heavier tanks less $$$ to buy because collectors cannot deal with
>them as easily?

The increased difficulties can offset cost to buy.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)