Re: [MV] tank questions

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 00:12:43 PST

At 2:45 AM -0500 1/20/03, Steve Grammont wrote:
>Ryan,
>
>>Gun Carraiges were basically SP guns of some sort. It could be a
>>Halftrack mounting a 75mm, a Priest mounting a 105mm Howtizer or a
>>M10 mounting a 3inch Gun.
>
>True in an unofficial sense, but not officially. See previous message of
>mine.

I use "SPG" in the basic term of a "Gun" mounted on a chassis.
Differentiated from the term "Tank" or "truck". Just like an Armored
Car is different by its wheeled form vs the Tanks and the SPG's by
their turret forms.

>US Army official abbreviations:
>
>GC - Gun Carriage
>HMC - Howitzer Mortar Carriage
>GMC - Gun Mortar Carriage
>SPG - Self Propelled Gun

You sure that's "Mortar" Carriage and not "Motor" Carriage?

>Some examples (not 100% official designations, but the terms are correct):
>
>M3 GC (M3 HT w/75mm Gun)

I've got books (US army page duplications) that call this a Gun Motor
Carriage as well.

>M7 HMC ("Priest" 105mm Howitzer)
>M8 HMC (Stuart with 75mm Howitzer)
>M10 GMC (3" Gun on Sherman derived chassis)
>M18 GMC ("Hellcat" with 76mm Gun)
>M36 GMC ("Jackson" with 90mm Gun)
>M56 SPG (90mm Gun on unarmored tracked chassis)

Yep.

And you missed
M6 GMC (Dodgem w/37mm AT gun, a US portee)
M37 HMC (105 on a M18 Chassis)

With the exception of the tank like vehicles, all are very much SPGs
in textbook form.

>Curiously...
>
>M4xx(105)
>
>This was a Sherman (of various types) with 105mm Howitzer. Unlike other

That is odd, given that the M8 HMC was a M5 light tank, with a 75mm
Howitzer. Likely the open top has something to do with the retention
of a "tank" designation in official nomenclature vs the GMC
designation.

>Oh, and US Army also had "Mortar Carrier" and "Self Propelled Mortar"
>designations for vehicles that mounted mortars.

and the Multiple Motor Gun Carriage.

>Apparently the Army at some point in the 1960s started to go with the
>"comma" designations. You know, things like "Howitzer, Medium,
>Self-Propelled, Full Tracked" instead of the previous "SPH" or "HMC"
>designations of WWII era vehicles.

Its a different age. You have to change the nomenclature because
that's what the previous generation used....its so old fashioned...we
have to look new and stylish with the new times.

>Ain't the name game fun kids? :-)
>
>Steve
>
>BTW Ryan... your three vehicles would be designated "Pop Gun, Light,
>Armored Car, Expendable" using US terminology :-)

Hmm, in the case of the Dingo, with 5 gears in reverse and 1" of
armor between you and Jerry and his MG nest at the crossroads, it
beats a Jeep hands down for advanced scouting.

And the Humber isn't much different than the M5 in terms of armament.
It's a hair faster on road though....

and the Ferret....well...you've got to have something to annoy the
Irish with...

;p

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)