Re: [MV] tank questions

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 23:45:23 PST

Ryan,

>Gun Carraiges were basically SP guns of some sort. It could be a
>Halftrack mounting a 75mm, a Priest mounting a 105mm Howtizer or a
>M10 mounting a 3inch Gun.

True in an unofficial sense, but not officially. See previous message of
mine.

US Army official abbreviations:

GC - Gun Carriage
HMC - Howitzer Mortar Carriage
GMC - Gun Mortar Carriage
SPG - Self Propelled Gun

Some examples (not 100% official designations, but the terms are correct):

M3 GC (M3 HT w/75mm Gun)
M7 HMC ("Priest" 105mm Howitzer)
M8 HMC (Stuart with 75mm Howitzer)
M10 GMC (3" Gun on Sherman derived chassis)
M18 GMC ("Hellcat" with 76mm Gun)
M36 GMC ("Jackson" with 90mm Gun)
M56 SPG (90mm Gun on unarmored tracked chassis)

Curiously...

M4xx(105)

This was a Sherman (of various types) with 105mm Howitzer. Unlike other
vehicles, this one was not given a special designation different than
standard Sherman notations. The big difference between this one and the
above is that it was in all respects a "tank" with a Howitzer. The
others listed are not "tanks". So I guess that is why they didn't stick
it with one of the labels being discussed even if technically it probably
should have.

Oh, and US Army also had "Mortar Carrier" and "Self Propelled Mortar"
designations for vehicles that mounted mortars.

Apparently the Army at some point in the 1960s started to go with the
"comma" designations. You know, things like "Howitzer, Medium,
Self-Propelled, Full Tracked" instead of the previous "SPH" or "HMC"
designations of WWII era vehicles.

Ain't the name game fun kids? :-)

Steve

BTW Ryan... your three vehicles would be designated "Pop Gun, Light,
Armored Car, Expendable" using US terminology :-)