Re: [MV] tank questions

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 00:36:51 PST

Hi Ryan,

>I use "SPG" in the basic term of a "Gun" mounted on a chassis.
>Differentiated from the term "Tank" or "truck". Just like an Armored
>Car is different by its wheeled form vs the Tanks and the SPG's by
>their turret forms.

Yup, just trying to reinforce the notion that names are confusing :-)

>You sure that's "Mortar" Carriage and not "Motor" Carriage?

Typo :-) Should have been "Motor"

>I've got books (US army page duplications) that call this a Gun Motor
>Carriage as well.

They might have altered it to be standardized as terms changed. Crismon
lists it as
"Gun Carriage", although he might have made an error I suppose.

>And you missed
>M6 GMC (Dodgem w/37mm AT gun, a US portee)
>M37 HMC (105 on a M18 Chassis)

Oh, I missed a lot more than that :-) I was just tossing out some examples.

>With the exception of the tank like vehicles, all are very much SPGs
>in textbook form.

Or SPA in textbook form, depending on which term you like better :-)
 Actually, SPA is technically more correct because "Artillery" applies
equally well to both Howitzers and Guns, while "Gun" doesn't really cover
"Howitzer" as well. WWII US Army referred to German "tank like vehicles"
as SPGs very often, as do most contemporary military historians. Again,
this just underscores the flexibility of these terms when talking in
generalities.

>That is odd, given that the M8 HMC was a M5 light tank, with a 75mm
>Howitzer. Likely the open top has something to do with the retention
>of a "tank" designation in official nomenclature vs the GMC
>designation.

That is my guess since this is the only one without a special designation
AND the only one with a fully armored turret.

>and the Multiple Motor Gun Carriage.

Hey, whaddayknow! I missed one (and probably more) :-)

>Its a different age. You have to change the nomenclature because
>that's what the previous generation used....its so old fashioned...we
>have to look new and stylish with the new times.

But of course! Also keeps people employed.

>Hmm, in the case of the Dingo, with 5 gears in reverse and 1" of
>armor between you and Jerry and his MG nest at the crossroads, it
>beats a Jeep hands down for advanced scouting.

A HMG 42 could take out a Dingo without too much difficulty. Of course,
for the same amount of expended ammo a Jeep would have looked like swiss
cheese! However, the Dingo looks so much cooler than Jeep IMHO, so it
has that going for it.

>And the Humber isn't much different than the M5 in terms of armament.
>It's a hair faster on road though....

All the better to run away with

>and the Ferret....well...you've got to have something to annoy the
>Irish with...

And annoy guys trying to change the oil too :-)

Steve