Re: [MV] tank questions

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 23:34:30 PST

Hello again Ryan,

>The sides are thinner, but, the armor on it is nicely sloped. If the
>MG team was close and to the side they'd likely have a good shot,
>but' its going to be a very passing shot at that point. The big worry
>is the

Man... I knew I saw something that hinted that a German MG34/42 could
take out a run of the mill British AC :-) Ironically a customer of mine
happened to bring this up tonight in a semi related discussion (plinking
SU Armored Cars):

---
SmK(H) (tungsten AP 7,92x57) bullet had a penetration power of almost
20mm of plain steel at a range of 500m (90° impact angle). Last troop
issue of the round was Feb 1943.
---

It was a rare round after 1940 and probably not widely issued at any given time. If I were a Humber crew I wouldn't have been worried about it too much about it. The Germans had lots of other nasty things around!

Steve