Jeep is Driving Slow

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 07:22:49 PST

Hi list...

Since I've had my Jeep running I've never really drove her around the city streets too much. When I do though, she has a top speed of about 30~35 mph. First gear is fine, second is good, but when I go into third the engine will lug and just won't accelerate any more. If I stay in third I'll loose speed - So I have to downshift or it will flood the engine.

Overall, she's great in 4WD-low/off-road, but when it comes to 2WD on roads I think she's a bit sluggy and not running up to par.

So to you experts out there, what are the likely problems/diagnosis and what do I do to fix it?

Thanks

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1