Re: [MV] Ebay shipping rates

From: Steve Malikoff (MIL-VEH account) (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 01:25:25 PST

G'day all,
   Just an observation regarding packaging from someone who has bought a lot
of things off eBay in the US, and had them shipped here to Sydney, Australia.

In the clear majority of cases, the item was superfluously packed. For example
I won a small plastic toy ATV, something that weighed maybe one or two hundred
grams and could survive being thrown against a wall. It was about 15cm long
(about 6"). It was packed in a 30cm^3 box (12"^3) with lots of foam peanuts.
I had explicitly asked the seller to pack it "as if it was going to the next
suburb" but that was ignored and the huge box is what I got. The postage
charge was horrendous, especially considering the poor exchange rate between
the AUD and USD.

Other examples too. I can only put it down to the notion that efficiency
in using the correct packaging (at which the japanese would have to be the
world masters - have you ever bought something in a japanese department
store?) is not a consideration for some folks in the US :)

Steve.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au