Re: [MV] Engine "Loping"

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 05:23:24 PST

Bruce,
Less than a year ago, I converted my naturally aspirated LD-465 to
turbocharge. Having operated the vehicle for years, the naturally aspirated
engine never "loped" (galloping or rolling symptom). After the conversion it
was necessary to increase the idle rpm to about 850 or so, to smooth out the
engine at idle (the naturally aspirated was idling at about 700).
My assumption is that the introduction of a restriction in the air intake
system causes this condition. The turbo/compressor fan is a restriction to
the air flow at very low rpm's.
I don't know if a dirty air filter can cause this, but you may want to check
that as well as the idle rpm setting.
I'm not an expert on this. These are just observations that may help you to
troubleshoot the problem.
Good luck!
Bjorn
MVPA 19212