Re: [MV] I wish vendors would stop listing parts this way! or free enterprise works

From: Dave Ball (vought@msn.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 12:23:31 PST

It looks like this seller is using the same auction to do his listings what
I mean is after you submit an auction for listing you get a chance to list
an item that is the same or a different item he is choosing the selection to
sell the same item to save time and just doing minor editing and posting the
auctions hoping to get More hits by using Humvee and M151.
There are a lot of good useable parts in his auctions that are Humvee and
M151 And Deuce but he lists them all even the 48-55 civilian Willys Jeepster
/ pickup-up grille and hood using the same title this is where buyer beware
comes into play if you are looking for something you better know what it is
what it looks like and be able to scan through searches of parts quickly.
There are allot of M Series parts that were manufactured with commonality in
mind and unless you know the difference you should ask the seller if he has
the part number unless its listed then get out your manuals and verify what
you are bidding on. There is a little bit of common sense involved in buying
parts for a hummer or any military vehicle you should know that Willys hood
is not right without needing a part number if you don't then you should
study the manual and go to a few swap meets.
A friend came up to me at Woodsons Bridge last year and was very happy with
a find and at how cheap it was and after he pulled it from his bag and
stated it was a NOS distributor for an M37 and cost twenty bucks I looked at
it and could hardly believe my eyes this guy should have known the
difference between a distributor for a four cylinder and a six and although
the M37 distributor and M38A1 distributor look somewhat alike there is only
four plug wires on the top of a M38A1 distributor.
Buyer beware... know what you are looking at learn to spot parts from 10
feet this helps at swap meets but you should after spotting handle the
parts. A lesson I learned many years ago just because its in a crate and
looks clean and the sellers says its NOS means nothing it could be the
removed (DXed) part that was on the way back to the depot for rebuild and
never made it to the shop the part sat around then went to DRMO and on to a
buyer who later became a seller who sold it to you who then opens the NOS
differential up to find a wasted ring gear and snapped pinion for an M37 and
its NOS.

Dave