Re: [MV] m-37 What's it worth

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 19:12:50 PST

Hi Fred:

        I can't help with the value, but can give a thought on restoration.
        Why would you be buying the truck? If to be a part of the society of those
who restore trucks to their original condition and purpose then you would
should convert it back. Anything short of that is a toss of the coin
IMSHO. I've a 50 year old deuce the county turned into a fire truck 30
years ago. They did a great job on the body, a poor job ( which worked tho
) on the electrical system. A problem has arisen here on the list when I
ask about thoughts on what I can or should do to restore it as is: silence
descends for a day or so upon the list! ( ok, I'm over doing it ). I
understand why: people bust their tushes restoring trucks to mil spec and
don't want to encourage less capable renditions of the MV.
        However I like the idea of it being a little special/unique. Still, I
haven't decided whether to bring the main systems back to 24 volt... So
basically keep this in mind should you buy the truck. I have seen a few
posts on getting the parts to bring it back to 24 volt, tho none on the
gauges or ignition system and what might be right or wrong or less
functional if the voltage changes. I love this list ( warts and all, for
I'm one of them <g> ) but have started to search for a list/forum which has
old, smelly, gnarly mechanics who worked on whatever blew in the door for
answers to my inquiries. My father and friends went to Mexico in the late
50's, after getting back from Korea. Their rear main bearing went out in a
SMALL town. No way to get parts. The local wrench offered to manufacture
one out of leather. They finally decided to go with it as Fed Ex had not
been created yet. He states the damn thing worked not only to get them
back to San Francisco, but it worked for the year + he had the car after
that! Perhaps his son or grandson moderates a list on line? The MilVeh
list works really well at what it does, however it doesn't do modified
MV's. At first I thought it was snobbish, but now realize it ( in most
cases ) is just pride. So I take what I can, and offer back the little I
remember from my daze as a mechanic with the 146th ASA Co, Pyong Tach,
Korea. And keep my eyes open for other resources.

        Paul