Re: [MV] Tanks headed to the port?

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 21:04:02 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "J Travis" <dagobert@ix.netcom.com>

> Joe,
>
> Not to be an ass about it, but while I am interested in big armored
> things too, is it really prudent to make this list into something that
> could be misused by the wrong people (like any stray Iraqi or al-Queda
> cells in the US) as a defacto intel source? I know that is NOT your
> intention

Sorry guys, I didn't think that one through. I am afraid I have gotten that
media mentality and wanted tell everyone about some big trucks and tanks.
It's kind of sad, but after watching the Today show and 40 other shows
dealing with our troops and equipment at various location over seas, I
didn't even think about the "bad" guys and how valuable this info is to
them. We see so much military hardware here in ___ that it doesn't seem
like a big deal any more. Every time a group of planes leave from the local
Air base, the local news covers the waving children and wives and tells us
who is flying out and where they are going. I always thought that was a bad
idea (yet lard mouth here has done the same thing). I have been amazed at
some of the access the media has to what I would consider classified info
any more. I like for things to be public knowledge, but I do think safety
for the troops is more important. I watched a local news cast in this week
where the reporter was inside a cargo plane talking about the kind of stuff
the plane would have on it when it took off later that day.

I think the next time I want to chime in about Armour movement I will wait a
week or two. On that note, I will postpone my question about military
convoys until next month.

You should always point out when someone does something dumb. Only the real
idiots get offended.

Joe