Re: [MV] GODSPEED SHUTTLE COLUMBIA CREW.....

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 01:11:11 PST

What's going on in Texas:
The issue for the authorities seems to be 'guarding' the thousands of
pieces found so far, from hundreds of souvenir hunters until the feds
can document and pick them all up.

These souvenir collectors just don't seem to care, they'll take what
they can get and many small pieces have disappeared into the hands of
these handfull of disrespectful and ignorant people. What are they
thinking?

Much of the area is wooded, it will be a long time to find most of the
pieces, and the souvenir hunters are at work. Hopefully this can be
put a stop to, but the manpower is short. Small pieces seem to be the
rule, making this more difficult. As might be expected, most ceramic
tiles found so far are in pretty good shape, but much else is twisted
and burned beyond recognition, except to say "that was a circuit
board", "this was part of a hydraulic cylinder" etc.. It really hit
home when they showed the empty space helmet laying in a field.

The 'boom' woke me up this morning by the way. It sounded like a
diesel truck crashing into a house across the street.

God have mercy on us.