Re: [MV] Columbia and escape modules... and SR71 stats the fastest conventional flight MV

From: william f cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 14:31:42 PST

I was active duty Air Force during development of the YF12. It was
designed to be a one-way interceptor for incoming ICBM missles and is
still the only aircraft I'm aware of that can do this. It was to
intercept the missle and shoot it down during re-entry into the
atmosphere as it approached targetted area.

Frank

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:27:17 -0500 myrddin7@juno.com writes:
> there were two other deignation aircraft on the sr-71 airframe,the
> yf-12
> and another i have forgotten the designation.does anyone have any
> info as
> to what they were up to all these years?some years back( over 30 )
> popular mechanics ran somrthing about them,and the other planes
> were
> mentioned but were called too highly classified to talk about.mike
> power

> <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>

Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)
MVPA 14530