Radio security in a MV

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 22:47:39 PST

I have a CUCV and am thinking of completing my setup with a RT524 radio.
However, I have some concerns about theft living in a big city.... My old
National Guard unit used to use an elaborate system of locks drilled through
the tightening clamps on the base, which worked great for humvees where the
radio base is largely inaccessible (since its flushly mounted to the deck).
However, on the M1009 CUCV, the mount and radio tray are exposed on the
underside. My fear is that I could lock the radio to the mounting base,
then lose the radio, mount, and radio tray to theft. Furthermore, the radio
tray sets the radio into nearly full view from the window, just to entice
any would be thieves.
Or, do I just store the thing indoors until either I use it, or am going to
a show (keep in mind my M1009 is also my daily driver).
Any experience on preventing radio theft out there? Anyone want to talk
about anything other than shuttle stuff?

Also, is it bad for the radio to spend a lot of time in a vehicle
(vibration, heat, etc)? I used to be a 31U (radio guy) in the Guard, and we
went through RT524 radios like they were going out of style (they were, but
I wasn't there long enough to see the Sincgars) - of course, we dropped
them, banged them together, stacked them on end then let them roll around
and tear all the knobs off, and even on occassion threw them at each other
(that usually occurred after I had to carry a radio in each hand across a
half mile of rough desert terrain because the idiot private couldn't find a
retrans truck! The RT524 is a two-man carry, so my arms would be stretched
out and my feet shortened after such a trip... oh, the fond memories!). I'm
not sure if a radio that was ever mounted in a humvee actually broke from
something other than total abuse (tearing off connectors, shoving a boot or
equipment through the face plate, or other tender(izing) behavior) - most of
our radios were destroyed in between setups, since we never had enough
radios for the 'chosen few' who felt they had to have them on any given
field exercise, even though they were in different vehicles every drill
weekend.

Thanks,
Nathan Wilkens
86 M1009 CUCV