Re: [MV] Radios in our MV's is it leagal

From: JJ&A (W7LS@blarg.net)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 00:02:10 PST

    You can put whatever you want into the vehicle, in terms of radios. You can
receive anything you want, except cell phone band (an antiquated rule, now.
Noboby runs analog phones that scanners can receive). You can't legally
transmit, except in ham bands, and only then, if you have a license. The no-code
license you mention was called the Technician License. It may go by another
name, now. With that license, you can transmit from 50-54 MHz. Typical
green-radio frequency at meets that hams use is 51.0 MHz. The Korean and later
tactical radios usually cover 30-80 MHz and work fine at 51.0. Can't encrypt
anything on ham radio. Jim