Re: [MV] Columbia. Yes, negligence!.

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 08:46:26 PST

Hi Tim,

Look, I always enjoy your posts. Your Scout Car updates were great and I
look forward to the time you're able to pick up the project again. I also
think you're licensing and vehicle related law post have been insightful
and help clear up some of the incorrect information that can run amok on
the list.

All that said, I have to take exception to most of your last post.

"Slide rule commandos" are the only reason the shuttle, or any other space
endeavor, ever leaves the ground. So much depends on pure mathematics and
theory... if it was run by what you can actually touch and visually inspect
and put a set of calipers on... we either never go, or loose hundreds in
trial and error.

It is so easy to second guess after the fact. The media does it every
evening on the news... looking for a hook... something sensational to make
you sit through the next commercial. It's much easier to destroy than
support or build. Seven good people are dead, and dead in what was likely
a very unpleasant way. They leave behind husbands, wives, and
children. It is a huge tragity. But it isn't a consperiousy. Someone
isn't burning up shuttles to hide evidence and pad the personal bank account.

The people who go into space, and the huge team on the ground that will
never get to go, but make it possible for those few, are passionate about
what they do. They are explorers. Exploration takes risk. No one there
wanted this. No one did a cost benefit analyst and said "we'll just have
to let this one burn up on re-entry because photographing the underside is
just too expensive".

It's like putting on your shoe in the morning and getting bit by a spider
in there. You've seen spiders in the house before, but you don't check
your shoe every morning? It just doesn't usually happen. 10 friends can
tell you after the fact how you should have checked, how spiders can be
avoided by putting your shoes in plastic bags... but it just wasn't
something you expected. It was an accident. Probably a rotten analogy...

They saw the video of foam hitting the underside of the shuttle. They
pulled together the best and brightest (and they really do have the best
and brightest) and looked at what they knew. It wasn't the first time this
had happened. They had experience. The foam isn't dense, tends to self
destruct, and hadn't done real damage to the underside before. They had no
reason to believe this time should be different. No single engineer got
shouted down. It was a consensus, and slide rule, and theoretical, but
that's how this sort of endeavor works!
If we "roll heads" and string all the ground crew up by their toe nails we
will just loose our explores and the national will to take on great (and
yes, risky) endeavors.

Let NASA investigate. They will find the source and fix it, or fix it at
least as much as can be done. Give them the funding they need. But there
will be losses again... part of exploration is loss. These guys died doing
what they loved and I'll bet anyone of the ground crew would have traded
places with them if they could.

Chris Davis