Correct Spark PLugs for DUKW/CCKW

From: RKiser8375@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 12:47:44 PST

According to TM 9-802, the technical manual for the DUKW-353, the DUKW should use an AC type "44 or 44 Com." with the gap set at .025" or .030" respectively. I went to a local auto parts store and they looked it up in the AC/Delco manual and said the GMC 1941-1945 trucks should use a R43 spark plug, so I bought six of them. Now, I'm wondering, what gap to use. Also, I'm not sure if it matters or not, but the DUKW normally operates at about 8,000 feet, and tends to run rich. I intend to advance the timing some, but I'm not sure if I should adjust the gap for this or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rob Kiser
1945 DUKW-353
rkiser8375@aol.com