Re: [MV] Patriot Act, freedoms, MVs and law

From: J Travis (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 01:08:59 PST

Ryan Gill wrote:

> Bush is nowhere near the start of this Super Powerful Federal
> government direction. Law enforcement had these ideas and requests
> already in hand when 9/11 happened. It wasn't in response, it was
> because 9/11 presented a good chance to ram the massively increased
> federal law enforcement powers down the throats of citizens.
>
> The Clinton Administration tried similar measures prior to 9/11. Know
> your customer is an example of this. It was defeated before it hit the
> floor congress. 9/11 made far more people willing to forego rights in
> favor of security.
>
> Its not a question of Left vs Right. Its a question of Federal vs
> anti-federal concepts. Fiengold who is a fairly left leaning senator,
> was one of the few that actively tried to stop the Patriot Act.
> Fiengold and Barr are probably our best defenders in this regard.
> Sadly Barr chose poor tactics for his re-election.
>
> My conviction's with regards to rights are why I belong to more than a
> few organizations. The NRA, SAF, EFF and ACLU are specifically notable.

Granted, this has been the direction of things since the days when J.P.
Morgan first helped manipulate the circumstances leading to the Federal
Reserve System, and before. What we are seeing is the next step in
those plans. But the issue is not solved by merely seeing it, or by
buying into party politics when we've seen BOTH parties advance this
agenda while in power.

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without
bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not
too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with
all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival.
 There may even be a worse fate. You may have to fight when there is no
hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves." -
Winston Churchhill