Re: [MV] Found Tanks

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 15:06:33 PST

At 5:41 PM -0500 2/21/03, Steve Grammont wrote:

>As to the condition, sitting totally encased in mud is actually a good
>thing. No oxygen, which is really needed to cause serious corrosion.

They should be treated like archealogical digs for the first few
phases of their recovery. The amount of gear, parts, kit and other
stuff in those vehicles should be time capsules. Especially if the
crew only had time to grab key gear before it sunk into the mud. That
PZIII still had it's hull MG. Wow....that's just amazing when you
think about it. Its as close to the "go back in time and grab one
from the motorpool" perfect idea that MV collectors could get.

>The ex-WWII battlefields in the East are littered with this stuff. The
>countries realize that they are worth substantial sums of money and are
>therefore eager to find these things. Especially since they are state
>property and that means the money goes right to them.

I have to wonder if one could locate some Lendlease British and US
gear over there still preserved.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -