Re: [MV] Additional warning for loading trailers

From: Royce C Hayes (rc_hayes1@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 08:56:07 PST

I have been in the RV and hitch business for almost 23 years.

The most common mistakes that people make with ball hitches are:
(1) Trying to hitch heavy loads to the bumper of a truck.
(2) Buying a cheap ball.
(3) Using a ball with the wrong size shank for the hole that it goes
into.
(4) Either not knowing about, or using and equalizer hitch and sway
control when towing heavy loads.
(5) Not using electric brakes while towing.

The most important thing in towing is being properly set up to tow. Most
people think that if they have a hitch ball and that ball will fit their
trailer, then that is all that is necessary. Definitely, not so! I have
pulled travel trailers and car trailers thousands of miles without one
mishap. I tow prepared.

Royce