Re: [MV] license plates (aka tags)

From: Steve & Jeanne Keith (cckw@attbi.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 11:12:27 PST

Texas, Oklahoma and Indiana have these laws.

I tried to get it in NH, bu the head of the Dept of Safety
absolutely refused to even investigate it.

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE Below is the text of a bill which will be introduced in
the Oklahoma House of Representatives by Rep. Phil Ostrander this session.
As
you can see, there are several important changes which will benefit Oklahoma
MV
owners. You are urged to call, write, or fax your local state
representatives
and urge them to SUPPORT THIS BILL.

A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section
1136.2 of Title 47, unless there is created a duplication in numbering,
reads as
follows: A. Except as provided in this section, former military vehicles
shall be exempt from the provisions of the Oklahoma Vehicle License Act if:

1. The former military vehicle is used only for exhibitions, club
activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and will not be
used for
regular transportation; and

2. The owner of the former military vehicle files with the Oklahoma tax
Commission or a motor license agent a sworn affidavit, signed by the owner,
stating that the vehicle is a former military vehicle and will be used
solely for the purposes listed in paragraph 1 of this subsection.

B. Upon each former military vehicle, the annual license fee shall be Twenty
Dollars($20.00). Upon initial registration, the owner shall make application
for the flat license fee which application shall include the year of
manufacture and a description of the vehicle containing information as

C. A former military vehicle shall not be required to display a license
plate if current proof of registration for the vehicle, in a form prescribed
by
the Commission, is carried in thje vehicle. In addition, the vehicle shall
display in a prominent location on the vehicle a registration mark
prescribed by the
Commission. The Commission shall allow the use of a unique identification
mark similar to the mark assigned that vehicle by the branch of the armed
forces
in which the vehicle was used. If such a mark is not used, the Commission
shall
designate a registration mark consisting of numbers, letters, or numbers and
letters in combination at least two (2) inches in height. To the extent
possible, the location and design of the registration mark shall conform to
the official military design and markings of the vehicle.

D. A certificate if title shall be issued for a former military vehicle, and
the applicable fees for the issuance of a certificate of title as provided
pursuant to the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration Act shall apply.

E. All penalties pursuant to the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration
Act relating to the failure to register a vehicle shall apply to this
section if
the former military vehicle is not properly registered or is used in a
manner which violates the provisions of paragraph 1 or 2 of subsection A of
this
section.

F. As used in this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle which
has been, but no longer is, used by the armed forces of a national
government
and which displays markings indicating it was a military vehicle.

Steve AKA Dr Deuce