Re: [MV] license plates (aka tags)

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 21:44:10 PST

Howard, and list,

I doubt any state allows the use of "bumper numbers" as the registration number.

I recommend you do an "advanced search" on a search engine (I used Google) for
the phrase "former military vehicle." The search results should get you about
100 links, most to the Texas and Oklahoma "former military vehicle" registration

laws.

Texas law provides for issuance of a metal registration plate, or the owner of
the HMV can submit to the department, for approval, a "military style" number to

be painted on the hood (or other location as would be correct). A photo of the
desired number as painted on the vehicle is to be submitted prior to
registration approval.

In Texas, "former military vehicles" are exempt from vehicle emission testing,
and can be exempted from the required liability insurance laws in the State.

I urge list members to look-up and read the Texas law, and the Oklahoma law. If

you wish to have a law similar to these, you must lobby the law makers in your
state. The Texas law became effective September 1, 1995. Owners of Historic
Military Vehicles wrote the law, they found sponsorship in the legislature, and
with a few minor changes the law was passed. I believe the Oklahoma law was
patterned after the Texas law, and became effective a year of two later.

Many other states have registration provisions for issuance of "Historic"
plates.
Another search on Google for the words "Historic" "Registration" "Plates" found
several thousand links (including historic vehicle registration in countries
other than the United States). Perhaps a search refinement, such as a State's
name would be in order.

As to the photos at Ft Warren, WY... most, if not all military installations
had metal registration plates for their vehicles, i.e., the vehicles assigned to

the camp, air field, etc. I have seen several metal "license" plates, but I had

assumed these to be for "administrative" vehicles and not used on [tactical]
trucks, tractors, tanks, etc.

Claude.