Re: [MV] M35 Air Pack

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 05:36:00 PST

Hi Bob,
I don't want to be intrusive, but what problem did you experience with the
brakes before deciding to service the air-hydraulic cylinder?
You may or may not know about the article in June 2002 of MVM on rebuilding
the "Air-Pak" by yours truly, but I'd like to know if there are other
problems not covered in the article, which may be used in some future
rewrite, I'm always collecting new info.

Where on the unit is the "pitting" that you mention?

A rebuild kit runs about $50.00 and may be the way to go, if you already
have the thing taken apart. A new (=rebuilt) air-pak will probably cost you
around $300.00 plus shipping. Memphis Equipment is a good source.

If you do go ahead with rebuilding it yourself, I want to point out an error
in the TM 9-2320-209-34-2-1 (1981). In the article this error "warning"
became buried in the caption for picture "N" on page 95. It concerns a mixup
of the Pushrod and the Piston u-cup seals (items 1 and 2 in the picture).
Item 1 (pushrod seal) has the smaller center opening of the two. This error
was also noted to me by David Doyle, who may have seen it in other manuals
as well.
When writing the article, I installed the seals both ways to see if it
really mattered and it does. When they are installed incorrectly (switched),
brake fluid will enter the large air piston chamber.

Good luck,
Cheers,
Bjorn