Re: Fording the deuce

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 07:39:47 PST

Bruce, David, John and others,

Yes, the second part of the article is in the works. The problem that I run
into was mentioned in the first part and that was to find a place to ford
the darn thing. I wanted it to be within 5 to 10 miles of my house and also
be able to get one of my neighbors with a large tractor to stand by in case
of disaster. The best I could find was a creek which I planned to drive
lengthwise, but the bottom had a nasty side slope to it where it was deep
enough to be considered for fording and the tractor wouldn't be able to
follow along anyway.
Bottom line is, I, or rather my son, dug a 40 foot by 15 foot long trench in
our backyard last fall using a small Kubota front end loader and as soon as
the weather permits we will finish with some concrete so that it will hold
water. When the fording tests are done with, we'll end up with a pond for
the kids to play in, at least until the water turns green.
The basin will be about 5 to 6 feet deep after ramping down into it.

There you have it, the status of the second part of the fording article.
I'm, at the very least, hoping for some great pictures as a reward for the
effort.

Thanks for your interest.
Cheers,
Bjorn