Re: [MV] CUCV 200 amp electrical system on M1028's

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 11:31:46 PST

Bruce & list,
    I, too, have the PDF copies of the -20 and -34 manuals, and both contain
several bits of information. The -20 (table 1-12) and -34 (table 1-10)
manuals both say "Selected M1028 trucks only", in reference to the 200 amp
charging system. On page 2-42 (and subsequent pages), the -34 manual does,
as you point out, say "MI 028", but it also says "MI 010" for the M1010.
That type of misprint can usually be attributed to the OCR software used to
scan the documents.
    I checked my printed -10 manual and it does NOT include the 200 amp
information for the M1028, nor the footnote (table 1-8). Of course, it also
does not include information about the M1028A3. It only discusses the
M1028A2. I would attribute that last point to the fact that my printed
manual is dated July 1986, whereas the PDF manuals are from 1988 and 1989.
Perhaps the 200 amp system was only available on later M1028's?

    I recently bought an M1028 that has a 200 amp system. Therefore, I don't
think it is a printing error in the TM. However, I was not able to determine
much about how the truck was originally equipped. Currently, it has the
normal pickup bed with shelter tie-downs. It also has the A/C brackets on
the engine (no compressor) and the 2 - 100A alternators.
    The really interesting thing is this: On the Chevrolet vehicle ID data
plate on the door jamb, it carries the M1028 NSN, but it lists the M1010's
GVW and curb weight. That makes me think that maybe it had au unusual
shelter from the factory? Or, perhaps, that was a result of ordering the
M1010 charging system on an M1028? The shipping data plate on the door
itself identifies it as an M1028. There are a few other curious things, but
these are some starting question marks for me.

    Anyone have any other insight or guesses?

    Thanks,
    --Neil