WARNING!!!! VENDORS !! 30th Annual East Coast Rally or The road to hell...

From: Ronzo (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 08:02:09 PST

Is paved with good intentions, or so the saying goes.

    For those vendors who received the "Registration Form For Spaces" from
the WAC/B&G MVT in a mailing that occurred on or about January 20th, 2003 or
are going by the ads in MV Mag or Supply Line, and read the line on the form
that states "Yes: I want the same spaces from May 2002 Rally____ Note; only
held until 15 March 2003" and think you still have time to send in your
money. NOT!!!!!
    Your spaces from last year are GONE!

    Check out the site: http://www.wacbgmvt.org/ecr/index.html

    I received the mailing on January 23rd, 2003. On Feb 3, 2003 a change
was posted on the Rally WEB SITE saying, Oops...never mind. If you want your
space, send in your money by 15 February or the spaces will go to whoever we
want to give them too.
    No postcard notification to the folks who were mailed Registration Forms
just 11 days earlier with the now bogus info. Just a note on the rally web
site. What about vendors who don't have time to check the website EVERY 20
minutes for changes?
    The same ad runs in the March 2003 Supply Line on pg 21, and on page 142
of the February issue of MV Magazine.

    They run a great rally, volunteers or not, but you can't, morally,
change the rules in the last quarter of the game.

    When I queried the change yesterday, and I must say I didn't use a
single four letter word, I received a reply where the registrar tried to
find us (2 folks involving 5 spaces, but there were actually 4 of us
involved in a block of 8 spaces{now gone} ) equal space, but no longer
together.
    He stated he was doing the best he could.

     " This is a non-profit event, all proceeds go to charitable
organizations, e.g. Scouts, Museum, etc.

     "I do what I can, we are all volunteers in a club of about 200 so its
death by committee. I am lucky enough to be point man handling the
registration. Too many competing demands for additional display space to
accommodate the Convoy coming in on 8 May and the re-enactment units. All
of those in Row A as well as those nearest the display area in first 3
aisles had to move. "

    They didn't know this was happening at the time of the mailing?

    One of my 'neighbors' also weighed in on the subject, and while
strident, said nothing that could be construed as abusive. ( All emails
exchanged so far can be forwarded off line if anyone is interested. Contact
me off line)

    The reply that was then sent out by the rep of the "WAC/B&G MVT" at
0602 this AM was :

    " Hello
    Choose from what is available to meet your (groups needs) needs, pass on
the Rally...... I am not in a position to debate the fairness or legality
of holding spaces through 15 March.
Regards...."

    Take it or leave it, not my problem.....

        Any lawyer types on the list willing to offer an opinion on this
situation?
         Any other MV Club officials who run rallies and flea markets agree
with this type of attitude?
        Why is there an attitude that 'Oh well, your just a vendor.... Tango
Sierra. Get over it.' ?

    What is a clubs responsibilities when it runs an organized, advertised
rally. If it makes statements in national publication advertisements and
mailings, are they accountable for what they print?
    This is more than idle curiosity, since my club runs several rallies a
year. When does 'just a volunteer, up to my butt in alligators " stop being
a defense? When monies collected for an event, for what ever reason pass
what amount....$500, $5000, $15,000?
    What about if it is a sanctioned event by the MVPA? Anything required by
the MVPA regarding rules on last minute changes? Or how MVPA members are
supposed to treat each other, and the public?
     Remember how back in the 60's, a man was judged by his words and deeds.
A handshake was binding? Now you can't even believe in what gets put down on
paper.

This is one of the absolute high points of the MV hobby for me each year,
and it just turned to ashes in my mouth.

    After this post, I will probably not be allowed to purchase spaces, but
a heads up is in order for anyone else involved in this fiasco but not yet
aware of it.

    Heck of a way to run the Hobby....

    Regards, Ronzo
    MVPA 18999