M35 lockout hubs installed

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 20:56:08 PST

Well I did finally buy a set of those Selectro lockout hubs from Inter
Agency Motor Pool.

It took less than an hour to remove the old drive flanges and put the
lockout hubs on.

Once the bolts were removed from the drive flanges, I pried the
flanges loose with a screwdriver. I had never done this before and did
not have to remove the wheels etc. The hardest thing was scraping off
the old paper gasket material from the brake drum flanges. (I can see
that I will need to re-grease the front bearings in the future, as the
grease was a bit thick, and tan in color. I think it is old lithium
type grease.)

I liberally coated the adapter rings and the lockout hub surfaces with
red RTV (no gaskets), and put them on with the new grade 8 bolts and
cutwashers supplied. Torqued to in three steps to 93 ft-lbs.

I did this in my employer's parking lot at 4 pm. It was amusing to
have the security vehicle keep driving past. It never did stop though.
I'd have put him to work.

The lockout mechanism itself seems to be well made. I played with the
hubs a bit before putting them on, and I feel that they will carry the
load if I need to go offroad. The only lightweight part seems to be
the large aluminum knob. I do not know the width of the locking part
which locks the outer diameter of the axle holder to the inner part of
the hub. Since the hub mechanism itself is rather flat, I think it
might be a dog clutch.

I would like to have a cut-away view of those hubs, for my own
education.

Driving home I noticed that I seemed to have a bit more power, a
blessing in my 'under-powered' truck with an S-280 in the bed. I will
do a mileage test next time I go to visit Mr. Haney. 7.7MPG is the
figure now. Results to come!

The hubs look very much bad-boy on the truck. I will have to paint
them OD though. Unless someone warns me otherwise.