Re: [MV] Hauling the Stuart

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 20:17:45 PST

Here's more of my limited knowledge.

I wouldn't try to pull that kind of weight with a deuce. It just doesn't
have the power or the suspension. I bought a 68 ford road tractor at a GSA
auction a few weeks back for about $300. If I get it running it should pull
some weight and use some gas.

As for a trailer, you can get a 20 ton trailer with out much trouble, but it
will cost you. Air brakes are a must. We just bought another 12 ton
trailer with air brake and I am considering selling my 9 ton with electric
brakes. Be careful about advertised capacities. The 12 ton trailer we just
bought is rated at 12 gross. My 9 ton is rated at payload. They are about
the same but the one sounds like it will haul more. And if you have to stop
at a weight station, you better be with in capacity.

As for loading 2 vehicles, here's one for you. We load a bobcat in the back
of one of the dump trucks buy driving it onto the trailer and up two ramps I
made that slide into two slots on the trailer and sit in the truck. Then we
load the crawler on the trailer. This would work well with a 5 ton truck
and a trailer? Takes a loose nut to load the bobcat. I just watch, my
sphincter doesn't need that kind of a work out.

Joe Trapp