The French MV Anecdote

From: Nigel Hay - MILWEB (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 04:54:28 PST

Two years ago I was assisitng some friends in the recovery from Normandy of
the remains of a couple of French made UNIC halftracks which were used on a
farm near Bayeux aftert the germans abandoned them as they retreated. The
Germans had impressed these 1939/40 models into service.
The son of the owner showed us pictures of hte Unics in use in JULY 44 onhis
farm with all the origional markings just crossed out. The gun turret was
taken off and burried under his drive. The body of one, after the last Unic
finally ground to a haltnin the 1980's , was welded up and made into a giant
water butt! What else was there ? Apart from tracks, engines and loads of
spares for the Unics all the cider bottle racks in the barns were made out
of wooden cases for the Nebelwerfer rocket launchers. They still had german
stencilling and labels.German small arms ammo boxes and jerricans.
He took as round the back of the house and you could see the bullet holes
caused my mg fire that raked the building - typically French they hadnt
repaired it. as it wasnt structural!
He showed us pics of the family on June 7th 44 who had all fled inland from
near Sword beach. The house had magnificent gates until a Sherman driver
knocked them down to save opening up his hatches and risk German fire.
What provenance those Unics have - maybe one day they will be restored and
on display.
Nige