Re: [MV] The French

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 04:29:49 PST

I do not have time at this moment to verify my dates (or even the spelling). I am doing this from memory, and believe the thrust of this to be accurate, even if some of the details need correction.

At the close of WWI, per the Treaty of Versailles, Germany was to be disarmed. The Washington Naval Treaty further imposed limits on capital ship size and number for all major powers. The League of Nations was the only global body to turn to for any type of "enforcement."

Hitler rose to power, and began re-arming Germany. Sometimes in blatant violation of the Treaty, other times clandestinely.

In 1938 he annexed Austria, later that same year he negotiated (but not with the Chechs) to Annex Sudetenland, about half of the Chech territory, on his promise of no further annexation. About 9 months after this, after threatening (and by the way reciprocal threats from France that were he to do this, a World War would ensue) he invaded Poland, showcasing to the world his Treaty-violating military. And with this little head start it took the world's combined forces 6 years to push his forces back into "compliance" with the Treaty of Versailles. And an occupying constabulary for years afterward.

His atrocities on the home front to certain groups of HIS people are well documented.

At the time, both Washington and London worked toward diplomatic settlement. When bombs fell on England, their tactic changed...and when bombs fell at Pearl ours did too. Today people in this country watch "Schindler's List" and ask why we did nothing to help.

Why is it none of these parallels are apparent to any of the talking heads on TV, or even to politicians speachwriters.

In retrospect, should Hitler been stopped in 1938? Would it have been easier then, or in 1945? How many lives could have been spared by striking heavily in 1938?

How many people need Hussein kill before people again ask in retrospect "why did we do nothing?" He has already once had his Sudentland (Kuwait), and was pushed back. Now he wants to try again. How much of a head start do we need to give this Fuhrer?

MV content....at least the Germany military had some very interesting military vehicles, some design features of which are still in use today.

My .02,
David Doyle