Re: [MV] Need a Harmonic Balancer for my 6.2L M1008

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 08:44:40 PST

Hi Nige,
    The Harmonic Balancer is a 2 part concentric ring that attaches to the front
end of the crank shaft. It's about 7 inches in diameter and about 1-1/2 inch
thick. About 25 lbs or more.The two pieces are connected together by a rubber
ring sandwitched between the two pieces. The purpose is to reduce the vibrations
to the crank so that it spins smoothly. ie it damps out all the vibrations
induced by the vertical jerks on the crank from the pistons. This is also where
the main pulley assembly is attached that drives the alternators and steering
gear pumps etc.
Hope this is clear,
Bruce MVPA 23824