Re: [MV] Sears

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 10:04:46 PST

At 12:16 PM -0500 3/13/03, MVTrucker@aol.com wrote:
>Pappy and Mom worked at RCA, during the WWII years. Pop was
>foreman in the machine shop. If a dude showed up with Sears'
>Craftsman tools, he was shown the exit. The only reason, as
>far as I'm concerned, that they give a lifetime guarantee on their
>tools is so you'll buy something else when
>you go back to get a replacement tool.

If I could afford to spend the money and the time trying to track
down the Snap On tool truck, I would. My (paternal) grandfather was a
Snap On rep for years when I was a child and I do know the value of
the quality. So far, I've been given good service by the grade of
tools that Craftsman makes. They hold up well to abuse and when I
have something break, I've taken it back to them and grabbed another.

Joe, since you run a business, it makes sense for you to have
Snap-on. Craftsman is sufficent for me. I still use a large breaker
bar, ratchet and socket set that my (maternal) grandfather owned
before he died. The set is at least 30 years old. So far, they work
just fine. I tend to use the newer tools just so I don't bugger up
granpa Buck's tools.

The sad part about all of this is that my Grandfather (Papa, the
paternal grandpa) had a complete set of Snap-On tools, with some rare
special items. They all disappeared years ago when he was sick and my
cousin had the run of the house and most of that part of the family's
affairs. All those tools and a lot of the silver are gone sadly. I
hate to see heirlooms sold for smack.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -