Re: [MV] Sears

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 14:41:37 PST

At 5:21 PM -0500 3/13/03, quiggy wrote:
>I have been a professional auto tech/ mechanic for over 20 years. 99% of my
>tools at work are Snap- On. I have probably about $40,000 invested in

Like I said, for a professional, this makes lots of sense.

>Snap-On tools. At home I have a meager amount of Craftsman, Husky etc. If
>you make a living with wreches you need Snap-On, as the design and quality
>of most of their tools is superior. For your ordinary home use, Craftsman,

For ordinary home use, you need OK tools, Stanley works here. For
someone who does work on old vehicles and needs good tools Craftsman
generally works, though they're cheapening up some of their lines.
For real professional work making money with your tools, you need
Craftsman, Klein, or some other top notch for the field tool maker.

I'd rather spend the difference between the Craftsman set and the
Snap-on set on a set of Whitworth Taps and Dies.

>etc are fine. Mandatory MV content- At least I don't need metric and
>standard tools for my WC's and Deuces. ( Iwon't even mention British
>Standard or Whitworth 8^P ) Brian Quinby 4 WC12, wc21 2-M211 ASE
>certified Master Tech, GM Cert tech Yadda, Yadda, Yadda....

Whitworth. Don't forget BSF. The fun of owning a British WWII vehicle
in America.

For example...

.5" jaw gap = 1/2 AF (American Fine)
.512 = 13mm
.525" = 1/4" Whitworth or 5/16" BSF

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -