Re: [MV] 8x8 deuce

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 14:31:15 PST

I always thought it would be cool to build a dual-cab deuce with 4
doors, and put an S-280 on the back with a walk-through, and make it
into a nice family camper unit. The cab is so narrow for a truck,
though, that it might be better to make the cab a little wider at the
same time...just by maybe 20" or so.

There's a guy in Sunnyvale, CA (in Silicon Valley) that is building
what I was told is going to be a crew-cab deuce. He removed one of
the sets of rear duals so it only has 2 axles now, and the bed was
replaced with (I think) the bed of a trailer (it has cutouts for the
wheel arches on the sides). It is pretty strange looking. But no
Class A or Class B license needed.

The sweet solution to this kind of project would be to just get an
FMTV when they some out into the surplus channels. Ahhh...air
conditioning, power steering, auto trans, quiet sealed cab, room for
the kids in the back seats, matching trailer, CTIS, optional machine
gun ring...what more could you want?

But I'm sure this thread is heating up the neck veins of the purists
among us...it is all just idle talk, I'm sure.

>I can see a girlfriend/wife 'tolerating' or even enjoying the OD hobby, but a gal that wants to rent a deuce for her wedding? Now that MUST be a rare catch!

Hey, there's already seating for a BUNCH of party-goers in the back,
right?

I rented my deuce out last year for a kid's birthday party. I just
had to park it in their driveway and come pick it up later. The kids
played in the back under supervision, and had camo make up put on
their faces in the back too. I made a quick $150, and the family was
very happy!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net