Re: [MV] France

From: J Travis (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 07:41:33 PST

THAT would be appropriate, especially considering how it was France's
demands about war reparations in the Treaty of Versailles with Germany
after WWI that set the economic climate that enabled Hitler and the
Nazis to take advantage of the situation and rise to power, leading to
WWII in the first place. Funny how they seem to overlook that little
detail so often.

Seriously, though, I find it hard to believe that the average French
citizen (especially of the older generation) could support their
government's stand to protect Saddam. Have they all forgotten what it
means to be ruled by a dictator, and long for someone to help them
become free? I can see where a few in their government might not want
to get caught selling the goods to make weapons to Iraq, and they might
not want to lose their loans. But does the average Frenchman really
value the Euro more than human freedom and dignity?

Perhaps we should start referring to the French government as the "Vichy
Redux"?

Jay Travis