RE: [MV] bio diesel and other fuel options

From: Michael Goodden (mgmv@auroragroup.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 07:25:21 PST

There is another way... you can just use straight vegetable oil (SVO).
The issues surrounding this seam to be more complex than normal
Bio-Diesel, but have the advantage of not having to use and mix
potentially dangerous chemicals.

To use SVO you have to have a heated tank and pipes to prevent the SVO
from solidifying. You also have to warm the engine initially on normal
Diesel or Bio-Diesel and then switch to the SVO to run. You then have
to switch back to normal diesel or bio-diesel to cool the engine and to
clear out the SVO from the system.

This sounds like it could have more issues when running, and would clog
the filters faster. (you do add extra 10 micro filters at the tank to
give ultra filtration before it enters the engine). I also think that
this has more potential for damaging the engine and is less tested than
Bio-Diesel which would appear to have many hundred's of thousands of
miles, if not millions of miles usage now.

There are a number of modification systems available for cars along
these lines, but for an M35 or similar you would need to fabricate a
nice large heated tank.

Does anyone know of anyone who has tried this?!?!?
Thanks
Mike
Michael Goodden
The Global Tipi Adventure