Re: [MV] M1008 Torque Converter inspection

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 17:57:42 PST

Hi Bruce...

> I am in the middle of looking at various problems and I may have to
>inspect the
>Torque Converter to ensure it is not loose.

This is a good thing for every CUCV owner to do now and then. These
bolts are amazingly susceptible to loosening on a diesel engine
because of the vibrations. Mine were already loose when I got my
truck back on 3/29/2000 and I could never figure out what the strange
rubbing knocking noise was when I hit the gas...a few months ago I
finally figured out it was one of the torque converter bolts hitting
the cover!

>1-Do I have to pull the starter to get the Torque Converter cover off? I
>am assuming yes,
>but I thought I'd ask anyway.

No...only the torque converter cover needs to come off. You may need
to pull the transmission lines over to the side, but the cover comes
off with the starter still bolted in tight.

>2-Do I have to put the truck up on jack stands, or is this just to make
>it easier to crawl under? I have 36" tires so I have tons of clearance
>even with my fat stomach.

I didn't have to jack mine up when I did it a few months ago. Just
slide right under with your OD crawler.

>3-Will I be able to get at all the bolts that might need tightening once
>I get the Torque Converter cover off?

Yes...you will need to rotate the crankshaft to get to the ones that
are not at the bottom within reach.

As you encounter each bolt, remove it completely and clean it really
good, clean out the hole really good with a q-tip dipped in alcohol or
naptha. Then put mid-strength Loc-Tite on the threads of each bolt
before you re-install the bolt. Torque the bolts to 60 foot-pounds.

>4-Is this a simple procedure as it appears, or are there some time
>consumming gottchas?

It is surprisingly easy and quick to do it.

>Hopefully It will not come to this, but I am just preparing for all the
>procedures I may have to go thru.

Good luck!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net