Re: [MV] M1008 Torque Converter inspection

From: Bill George (primemover@2xtreme.net)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 16:36:26 PST

Bruce,
1 No, you can get the converter cover off without pulling the starter.
2 Your truck should be easy with the height on it (should have seen the
truck that just pulled out of my shop though 8" lift 22.5" semi wheels on
it!)
3 No, you will have to turn the flywheel, they make special tools for that,
or you can bump the starter or put a socket on the crank and turn it over.
4 It's a pretty simple straightforward job.
I have never seen torque converter bolts come loose though. If they have
come loose I suggest going to the Cheby dealer and get some new bolts. They
are special for the diesel application and come with a locking adhesive
already on them. Have fun,
Bill