RE: [MV] FW: max speed m1a1 tank

From: Bill Chambers (bchambers@hoovers.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 15:26:26 PST

Actually, since the US Military states 42mph all over, and the realization
is that the current ones in use are going cross country. It would reasonable
to assume that they will never reach that speed.
I also think that every intelligence officer in every country knows the real
number.
I would be more concerned with armament, ammo capabilities, radios and such.
Alas, that is posted on every armor site. Military vehicles have no secrets.
Just buying a subscription to Jane's gets you just about everything. In WW2,
there was a secrecy about vehicle design. Those days are gone. I have been
to the Military shows in Europe and seen just about everything. What is
secret? Not much. I saw US and Foreign built vehicles put through amazing
displays. Why, to impress buyers world-wide. Was I military? No, I had been
out of the Corps for years, I was just in the area, a normal guy.

When folks saw military convoys moving around the country, I noticed folks
saying shhhhh. I sorta found it strange, as anyone can watch the fleet sail
out of Norfolk, the boats loaded at Galveston, the Marines boarding in
California. There is no secrecy to these types of movements anymore. My
daughter is USN MP. She rides her boat around the ships in San Diego. Her
and her fellow sailors have civilian boats floating all over the place.
Nothing she can do.

In regards, the only two secrets the US Military has is the battle plan and
communications. Both of these are what will let us win the war. The Iraqis
know what a M1A1 round will do to a T-72, the found that out last time. <g>

Regards,
Bill

MVPA, Former Marine SNCO, and ready to be flamed.