Re: [MV] Commercial Trucks

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 10:29:07 PST

I have owned two step vans.

1. make sure it has a V-8, the six is not going to do.

2. get one new enough so it does not have split rims. old ones with
split rims are often such that the new tubeless rims can't be refitted
due to the brake drums.

3. 10MPG with a 307 chevy 2 bbl, granny gear 4-speed, and a 3.73 rear.

3a. 3.73 rear is ok for highway, watch out for the 4.11 as it will rev
high. Some have a 5.13, avoid those!

4. an aluminum body is best, the steel ones tend to rust.

5. get one that has been in recent use. One sitting unused for a few
years can have alot of moths which have gotten into the insulation in
the body, and even after 2 years, they were still there!