Re: [MV] M113s in Iraq

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 18:02:00 PST

>In the war footage I can see on the LHS of the M113s
>(they seem to be A2 version) what looks like louvres.
>Is this a retrofit NBC pack?

I think this is some sort of vehicle identification device. I have seen
them on other AFVs and it appears to be loosely attached as if simply
hung on the side of the armor. But that is just a guess.

>Also, I saw a report stating that some Iraqi tanks were knocked out.
>But the vehicle shown was unmistakably an Amtrak (AAV-7), seems like
>the reporters still have a lot to learn about AFV recognition.

They are still, on the whole, morons when it comes to identifying
military equipment. And don't even get me started with their take on
military tactics and proceedures...

>This vehicle was a catastrophic......

The leading theory, or so I heard, is that it was knocked out by a
Russian AT-14 Cornet. The thing that is troubling... this missle would
have to been sold to Iraq very recently since they did not have them in
their 1991 arsenal. Just more evidence that Russia is against this war
for a bunch of reasons they would rather not have made public.

Steve