Re: [MV] Speaking of Battery Drain...Deuce Battery CableSparkUponConnection...

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 19:49:12 PST

A multi-meter, set on the "ohms" scale, will check if a capacitor has
shorted. The normal test is a large kick when the leads are first attached.
This is the capacitor charging. Then a slow decay to infinity (open
circuit). Reverse the leads carefully, and the meter will kick again. Then
another decay. If the meter needle stays up in the middle of the scale, the
cap is shorted, or at least suspect. Ask a telephone company repairman or
cable splicer to lend you his "brown meter" or "sidekick". It is designed to
do exactly what I just explained. It has a 48-volt battery, and a reverse
key on it, which makes moving the leads unnecessary. Arthur P. (old phone
man) Bloom