Gama Goat - Brake Question

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 19:03:43 PST

I am putting the alternator side of my goat motor back together, lot's of
helicoils and new tubing. Everything is fine but I am a bit perplexed by
the lines that come off of the air box. The first one is identified as the
airbox drain, it comes from a Tee that goes into the block. The book shows
this line dropping down below the oil pan and being open. I talked to
several Detroit mechanics and they both said that on normal Detroits, you
leave that tube open and over time there will be small amounts of black
liquid (combination of condensed water, fuel and oil) comming out of there.
Then, off of the other leg of the Tee is an elbow that goes to another tube
that connects to a hose that runs down to the brake system purge air tank
thru a check valve.

Ok, so here's the rub, if you leave the first tub open, which is what is
suggested by studying the parts books, then you will never develop any
pressure for pressurizing the brakes. Yet if you close that drain tube off
you will then get the back ink (seems like ink anyway) going into the
resevoir for the brake system and eventually into the brakes.

Did something change between when the manuals were made and the bulk of the
goats where made? Or am I missing something here?

My thought as of right now would be to cap off the drain tube and run the
other tube/hose thru a coelscing (sp?) filter to trap the liquid and remove
any oil from the air.

Any input??????

later,

je