Re: [MV] 1" or 3/4" impact Wrench?

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 18:47:21 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Ehle" <markehle@hotmail.com>

> Ram - I have one of those. Did not budge the nuts. Actually bent the
wrench,
> even after liberal use of penetrating oil.

Two things. One, if you don't have the impact socket that fits the square
and 6 sided stuff with out removing it and turning it over, get one.
They're gr-r-reat. I bought one for $20 and another for $25. Same socket,
same place, that's the difference between cash and charging to an account
(the cash was more).

Second, check all your studs and nuts before you get in a pinch. It may be
a lot of trouble, but if some nut in a depot or shop sat there and cranked
the nuts down with a 1" impact wrench they may be really over tightened.
Borrow a 1" wrench and remove and re-torque the nuts. The 3/4" wrench
should handle the stuff after that. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first
time) but I suspect the torque delivered by the 3/4 wrench probably greatly
exceeds the proper torque for the lug nuts.

Joe Trapp