Re: [MV] 1" or 3/4" impact Wrench?

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 21:01:00 PDT

Mark,

         A one inch gun will do the job without a hitch at all. A 3/4" gun
will do the job but takes longer when putting the tires on to torque the
wheel nuts correctly, not near enough cookies as a one inch gun by
comparison. You need to use a 3/4 inch air line from your air reservoir to
the impact gun to get full power from the gun. Air line smaller than 3/4
inch? Your gun will NOT develop it's full power as the half inch air line
can't carry the air volume required. Couple of more bucks to upgrade to a
one inch gun. You will not be sorry.
         #/4 and one inch guns require generally around 15 to 25 cubic feet
per minute at a minimum of 100 PSI to operate at full power with 3/4 inch
air lines. You can operate off your trucks air reservoirs but there is a
safer method. Pick up a used mounted on wheels air compressor gasoline
driven with a blown engine or no engine shouldn't cost ya more than 5 or 10
bucks, and add the required fittings that allow you to hook up with a truck
galdhand, make sure it is the Emergency fitting not the service. Purchase a
gladhand inflator at a truckstop that allows you to hookup to the emergency
trailer fitting at the back of the truck to the now new style portable air
supply for your wheel gun. NOTE: the air compressor on the M-35/54 series
is only around 8 cubic feet of air per minute at 2600 RPM, about 4 or 5
idling at 1000 RPM but this is more than enough when you consider your
portable surge tank holds four to five times the volume of air the truck
tanks do. When the air compressor on the truck kicks off at it's set
pressure with the portable hooked up and the valves open you have enough
air to take off one wheel. You know as well as I do when you ready to
tighten up the nuts your air will be back. Not quite as fast as a tire shop
trucks air compressor but a good deal cheaper.

         Oh yeah, for those with weak (?) backs you can buy air powered
bottle or wheel mounted jacks too. Puts em up in a hurry without the right
arm getting bigger than it needs to.

At 03:38 PM 4/7/2003 -0400, Bobby Joe Pendleton II wrote:
>I use a 1 inch drive for my M211 does good. I was told that a 3/4 inch will
>do it.
>Bobby Joe Pendleton II
>MVPA #17657

James Shanks