Re: [MV] Turbo M35s

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 00:31:33 PDT

John,

         Turbo maintenance is very easy. Do NOT shut engine down without
idling for a minimum of three minutes, if your were really working it hard
or it's really hot out give it a five minute cool down. This cool down time
allows the turbo to spin down to it's lowest RPM (they normally spin to as
high as 30,000 RPM) the cool down time also allows the oil supply which
comes off a oil channel port on the side of the engine block to cool down
the bearings in the turbo. Pulling into your parking spot and turning the
engine off like a car is THE PRIMARY REASON A TURBO FAILS!!! One word
covers it HEAT!!! Pull in like a car and shut it right down and it BAKES
the oil left on the bearing in the turbo, remember a turbo normally gets up
to 1200 degrees F. If you have a pyrometer mounted after the turbo use that
as your shut down guide. I never shut mine down if after a five minute idle
period it shows over 300 degrees F on the pyrometer I don'[t shut it down
until it is less than 300 degrees. The Mack dump truck I drive last spring
got a new turbo because the turbo manifold cracked due to normal wear and
tear. Mind you that was after 441,000 miles since it was built in 1992. The
old turbo still ran fine but wasn't getting all the exhaust gas from the
engine to run the turbo so power was down a mite and it was the same
casting that held the turbo together so hence it's replacement with a new
one. $1400.00. Right there is reason to get Religion about your shutdown
habbits. Easy way to kill the time while idling her down is get out and do
a post trip walk around, kick the tires you know the normal stuff a driver
is supposed to do.

Have fun