Re: [MV] Gear oil

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 20:28:02 PDT

Joe...I think it was Pennzoil and Quakerstate that merged...but don't
know if that includes Shell or not. I only know that when you pour in
Quakerstate motor oil...you have to turn your head and not look cause it
looks as thin as water going in...but it looks good on the oil pressure
gage. I think that in the newer standard shift transmissions...they went
away from all bronze bushings and shifter forks...so they can use the
newer GL5 type 80/90 weight oils...but...like you say...not so for the
older vehicles. Looked under a new Ford truck recently and the pumpkin
had a tag on it that stated to use 50 wt. synthetic only...less turning
friction, better mileage, less parts life??? Also...on a tractor board
that I hang around...some of the guys have gone to synthetic oil in
them...but...it sure finds ways to get around those older seals...drip
city. Didn't take them long to switch back to regular type oils.
Wouldn't advise anybody to get this proud of their MV unless you're a
busy body and fond of chasing leaks. Fred Martin